03 April, 2012

Indian or African, any thing.......


So these days I miss someone, or someone’s sound.  On last year when I did not hear anything from the down stairs chapel at midnight, I found early morning that the brother who did offer mass with Br.Niklaus every ‘night’ was lying dead. From this week I don’t hear again the voice that made me awake halfway my sleep. Yes, Br.Niklaus left the friary to the nursing home for the old. I used to go to bed late at 00.00 every day and almost every day by 2 or 3 or 4 he began his celebration of Eucharist very loud. Since my room is just direct above the Chapel for the sick, and since it was all a wooden roof separation, I did hear loud his strong hard base voice. It was a very loving disturbance which never evoked in me a feeling of irritation. Niklaus is 97 years old and he believes in celebrating Eucharist every day without fail and he did that till his last day in Luzern. He did speak with me every week many times and almost every day. We were together here in one community for more than two years now and my only complaint is that till the last day I failed to convince him and make him remember that I am an Indian and not an African Capuchin. After repeated efforts once he did introduce to a group of his five family members that I am a student from Africa. On that day I decided to be an ‘African’ only for Niklaus till he left us to Schwyz Pflegeheim. After all it doesn’t make any difference to get identified to a continent. It is good to be a ‘transnational’. ………… I miss you, Niklaus

No comments:

Post a Comment