08 October, 2010

Protest becomes tourst attraction (g.f.xavier)



The Institut für Jüdisch-Christliche Forschung which come under the Theologische Fakultät in Luzern Universität has organized a lecture about The Palestinian Wall (Bilateral iconoclasm).

Dr.Avinoam Shalem from Israel, in whose seminar on Clash of Gods I attend, lectured on the topic.
It was totally new information for me and i would like to share with you what i have understood. If it goes wrong due to my limited knowledge of German, Please do verify.
 
The wall is constructed by Israel to defend the country from terrorists, as they interpret, and so it is called Anti-terrorist wall. It separates Palestine from Israel. The Palestinians call it Racial separation wall. It has the similarities of the Berlin wall and social workers and human rights activists expect the fall of it in the same manner the berlin Mauer was pulled down.
 
The Graffiti on the either side of the wall is intriguing and on the Palestine side it represents the protest and depicts the tension between Israel and Palestine.
Some of the interesting writings on the wall read as follows.
  • To exist is to resist.
  • Israel, ‘Thou shall not steal’, still applies.
  • Palestine will be free.
  • CTRL+ALT+DELETE.
  • Believe in the power of underwear.
  • With love and kisses – nothing lasts for ever.
  •  I am not a terrorist.
  •  Ich bin ein Berliner.
  •  The wall must fall – Al Mobadara. 
  •  Knockin’ on Heavens Door.
  •   This wall will soon fall.
  •  Scottland supports Palestine.
  • Our revenge will be the laughter of our children.
 
The interesting part is that the artists from all over the world painted graffiti and the British painter Bansky painted nine such Graffiti.
Some of the graffitis are the following
















 A fact: You pay and send the graffiti to the palestianians and they will spray the caption on the wall. 

The whole of the wall and the places around are tourist attraction now. They folk together and there are self made guides now explaining every picture.

I don't put myself in hot water by discussing a politically international issue in my blog. But the fact of separation and segregation is not to be promoted. Anything that divides people is to be brought down, whether it is a wall or a regime or religion or an organization or anything. Let us unite in the name of humanity. But I never digest why those who promote the idea of global village, support the dividing elements on the globe?

I eagerly wait for an oppurtunity to visit this place.

I quote Woody Guthrie.

  As I went rumbling that dusty highway 
  I saw a sign that said private property 
  But on the other side it didn't say nothing 
  This land was made for you and me.
  This land is your land, this land is my land...
  Nobody living can ever stop me
     As I go walking my freedom highway 
     Nobody living can make me turn back 
     This land was made for you and me.

(This Land is Your Land, by Woody Guthrie)


(Picture courtesy to google. This is not based on a study by myself, but only on a presentation of an interesting fact heard in a lecture by Dr. Avinaom Shalem held today, who is my proffesor at the University of Luzern. He is not responsible for the opinion and I am responsible for the opinion and the rest)

1 comment:

  1. this is something new information for me n yes this article conveys a very good mesage to everyone that anything seperates humanity must be brought down

    ReplyDelete