12 September, 2012

When I can study something in my mother tongue?


When I went came out of the school and started my college studies the most difficult part was to study everything in English as it is naturally a foreign language to me as our mother tongue and the national language were other than English. So I went through the pain of studying philosophy and theology in English. Then I said to myself blessed are those who are privileged to study all these in their mother tongue.

As time passed I could mast the language to a certain extent. But the next challenge was waiting for me at the door. It was to pursue my studies in the German language in Switzerland.  Oh yes, it was a challenge more than I expected. With a year of German language studies in India and the two years now in Switzerland, I am still struggling to understand the technical terms at the university and to express my thinking and opinions.

I am staying positive still. I remember the first week at the university and in Switzerland when I heard my colleagues speaking something very different from the German which I studied at the Goethe Institute in Pune. My best German teacher once asked about the intention of studying German and when I said that I do this with the intention of pursuing studies at a university in Switzerland, she stared at my eyes and said that I am actually in a wrong place to learn German.
Yes, that was right. I hear a different German and I speak a different German. I hear Swiss German in their dialect and I speak another German which is called ‘Hoch Deutsch’. Because of all these my mind is still occupied with the language part more than the university studies and discussion.  A free flow of my thoughts and analysis of what I read and study is still at bay.

When can I at last study in my mother tongue and express freely what I think and philosophize?

No comments:

Post a Comment