13 February, 2013

Lent


It is the time of Lent now. And I thought of trying to sacrifice on something this time. I am not really a fan of Lenten fast. But still I thought let me try at least in a very small way to set a check in my life. So I decided not to eat meat. I still wonder how I could make such a decision. After all I say always that I love ‘schweizer fleisch’.

Don’t misunderstand me. I did not take such a small step based on the present horse meat issue.

Last week I was with my colleague for an exam preparation. And he set before me bread, fruits and dry meat. I said, no, I don’t take meat because of lent. The very immediate response from him was, you, you George, you are fasting? I don’t believe this.

The very bad side of this is that my three colleagues have birthdays this month and student friends are back at the university and they call for parties. I need to say a ‘no’ to so many parties and also I need to explain why I don’t take alcohol and meat. It is only when man decides something all these extra temptations occur.
To be true I would say that this is for the first time in my life that I am doing some sort of sacrifice during lent or any other fasting time. How difficult it is to make a sacrifice even on small matters like avoiding meat and alcohol?

No problem. Pope Benedict made a sacrifice on his papacy……….. Why can’t I make a sacrifice on meat and wine?

No comments:

Post a Comment