13 October, 2012

Private life and Public life


I am not a fan of USA but I am interested in presidential elections and the debates. And all the more as a student of political science who is interested in the international politics, I closely watched the debates and their foreign policies. Now the first two debates are over and still the picture is not clear. The presidential debate at the Denver University and the vice-presidential debate at the Centre College gave some impression of the republicans taking upper hand. Both Romney and Ryan were clear and tangible about their plans and made their policies clear also with their charm and effective specificity. Even though Obama did lose his support base a little after the debate, his vice-presidential mate did try his best to regain it. So the race to the Whitehouse is evenly poised. Among all the issues discussed and debated, what caught my attention was that this vice-presidential debate was the first ever all catholic candidates’ debate and with no surprise Martha Raddatz, the moderator, raised the issue of abortion. Both stick to their catholic positions and the difference made by them is mentionable. Ryan did say that his position is based on his faith, science and his personal experience. He said “we saw that heart beat and our little baby was in the shape of a bean. And to this day we have nicknamed our first child Liza ‘bean’. Now I believe that life begins at conception.” He also questioned Biden’s view of not imposing abortion on people of other faith. “I don’t see how a person can separate their public life from their private life or from their faith.” Yes, there I am into. I also believe that life is a complete whole and I can’t have two views in my life, one for me and another for public. If I follow something in my personal life, it is based on my conviction and knowledge. Two have two stands in life questions one’s integrity and reveals what Jesus called as hypocrisy. I can’t sacrifice the truth and my convictions at the cost of the membership in a political party, or any institution or any religion and neither for my personal gains and ambitions. Compromising the convictions is suicidal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment